пятница, 21 августа 2026 г.

Unlocking a locked/deactivated e-waste Cricut Maker

xssfox in Australia, while taking some rubbish down, spotted a Cricut Maker in e-waste. A quick look at it revealed that the it was in fairly good cosmetic condition with the exception of the rollers being perished.

I knew that Cricut were pretty aggressive with disabling/locking machines, but I gathered it would still be worth playing around for some fun. As it turns out this machine was locked, which was pretty expected. However with some hacking I was able to return it to having full functionality.

I fired up wireshark to capture USB messages between the Cricut and my machine. It uses USB CDC for communication and very quickly I found the packets responsible for sending the serial number. There didn’t appear to be any checksumming or crypto. So I borrowed a RPi RP2040 (Adafruit Feather RP2040 with USB Type A Host) which was able to act as both USB Host and USB Client.

Using the TinyUSB Arduino examples for USB Host and CDC simple echo, I was able to cobble together a simple proxy/rewriting device. With the rewriting device replacing out the serial number at a hardware level the software is none the wiser. The unit shows up in my account.

See more in the post here. Via Hackaday.



from Adafruit Industries – Makers, hackers, artists, designers and engineers! https://ift.tt/agHtmjG
via IFTTT

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий

Know us

Our Team

Tags

Video of the Day

Contact us

Имя

Электронная почта *

Сообщение *