пятница, 3 февраля 2023 г.

What to Do With a Whole Bunch of Vintage PDP-11 Minicomputers?

I have a soft spot in my heart for the PDP-11. It’s the first computer I ever saw in person. In the late 70s, I was living at Twin Oaks, the intentional community in Louisa, VA. A couple of the community’s nerds convinced the planning committee that we needed a minicomputer to do the accounting for the community’s growing businesses and labor assignment process.

They bought a PDP-11 and installed it in the accounting office. At the time, I had zero interest in computers or electronics. I stood in the background and watched as a group of 3-4 communards pored over manuals and a programming guide. It was the first time I’d ever seen programming code.

I remember looking at what they were doing, what they were talking about, the strange hardware and stranger programming language, and it was as if they were from another planet. I remember thinking: I literally cannot imagine anything I would rather do less than monkey with such a machine.

Fast-forward about 5 years later and I would be the Computer Sciences Editor of The Futurist magazine. When the future arrives, if you’re smart, you pivot.

In this Usagi Electric video, he acquires a PDP-11 and then a reader gifts him a boatload of addition PDP-11 boards and misc hardware. He runs through all of the goodies that he got and opens it up to the community as to what kind of ultimate PDP-11 system he should build with all of the hardware.



from Adafruit Industries – Makers, hackers, artists, designers and engineers! https://ift.tt/XyIgVWK
via IFTTT

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий

Know us

Our Team

Tags

Video of the Day

Contact us

Имя

Электронная почта *

Сообщение *